Ness
Ness asked:

this book made me hate Thomas Hardy. Why hardy, why so sad?

To answer questions about Tess of the D'Urbervilles, please sign up.
Walid M Rihane Well, to start with, the book is a tragedy. Secondly, Hardy uses the tragic style to critcise the Victorian society through a female character. So I think Tragedy was the best way to highlight the flaws in the Victorian society rather than using a "happy" one.

Hope this answered your question
Kalle I thought so too... until I read Jude the Obscure...
Lisa Like modern authors he wrote about what was around him. Many of his stories were based on things he saw or people he knew. He once , sat on a hill and saw a woman being hanged in Dorchester prison ( Martha brown I believe) this was so upsetting to him that he felt obliged to write Tess. He used his stories to highlight issues of the time. He was a very forward thinking man an saw the injustice facing women in Victorian rural england .
J Hardy was greatly influenced by Arthur Schopenhauer, who is known as a pessimist. Not the glass-half-full pessimist-type. A philosophical pessimist, meaning he thought that being alive is worse than not being alive. Hardy wrote tragedies to show how bad things happen to good people, how we can all be victims of chance or "fate" if you want to call it that. He also wrote tragedies as social commentary and an admonishment on the hypocrisies of Victorian England. This book was meant to be sad, to show how silly superstitions and customs can ruin the lives of decent people.
Chinmay Hota "Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought"
Christi Nash Because it's about the plundering of the earth and the destruction of nature and a way of life close to the land in the 19th century, as well about basic rights for the poor/working class and women. I take it reality isn't your favorite subject.
Image for Tess of the D'Urbervilles