Goodreads asked Darlene Deluca:

What’s the best thing about being a writer?

Darlene Deluca Oh, wow, I don't think I can narrow it down to one "best" thing. So, here are three awesome aspects of being a writer:
1. Flexibility. I love being able to work odd or flexible hours, to work when the inspiration strikes, or to take a break when life demands it. Working from home means I don't have to worry about sick kids or snow days or scheduling appointments.
2. Making things up! It's just plain fun to let stories percolate in my head and then see where they can go. I love being in charge of my own projects and deciding the who, what, where, why and how.
3. The people. It's such a blast to be immersed in books, to meet other authors, to get together and share ideas with critique partners, and, of course, to talk books with readers either in person or on social media. I've always loved books -- reading, libraries, bookstores -- and to be part of the book industry is truly a dream come true!