Elizabeth
Elizabeth asked:

what's the best translation in English for this book?

To answer questions about A Country Doctor's Notebook, please sign up.
Joon Rhee I read two translations of the book, and from what I see, there are only two translations of the book: Michael Glenny and Hugh Aplin.

Honestly, Glenny's translations were better. There's a lot of original details and left out or transformed so a modern reader could relate to the material more, but it isn't as incomprehensible as Aplin's. One incredibly minor detail was Glenny's use of "miles" instead of "versts."

Aplin's translation was difficult to read, and I'm not entirely sure if it's due to direct translation or not. There are some details added, but I don't think every detail was added either. The syntax and prose is spotty, and at some moments I even questioned the translator's word choice. One minor example was Aplin's use of "dad," which the physician called some of his elderly patients. Honestly, "mister" could be a better substitute. Even if Bulgakov literally used "father" in the text, a footnote could've been added to explain Slavic honorifics.
Image for A Country Doctor's Notebook