Jan Priddy
Jan Priddy asked:

Is she admitting she write fantasy and SF yet?

To answer questions about Stone Mattress: Nine Tales, please sign up.
Heather I think speculative fiction is a good description. Her stories are more psychological and have magical realism. There aren't really aliens and the like in her stories. Even the stories with fantasy elements, they're often complex (like a character who writes fantasy and believes the world is for her and her alone). Her stories, at least to me, are more about the human psyche and just happen to have science fiction and fantasy elements.
Bridget Martin As a master of the art and drudgery of writing she is certainly able to define her work as she sees fit.
What she calls speculative fiction is the very best of science fiction. Characters fully developed seeking companionship and love, facing conflict, finding peace.
At this point I expect she is tired of the question.
Even with the success of The Handmaid's Tale do not expect to see her at Comic Con.
Jan Priddy Much of her work is straight up science fiction. I saw Atwood and Le Guin in Portland and when Le Guin asked Atwood what she thought SF was, Atwood rattle off Str Trek and Star Wars . . . Le Guin say, "Oh. Media." and then she changed the subject.
Janday In her collection of essays about SF, In Other Worlds, she admitted that she has a different definition of "science fiction" than what other authors (she used Ursula K. Le Guin--an author she loves--as her foil) have. She is still not comfortable with the SF label, and prefers "speculative fiction".
Rachel Bellenoit Finished the 1st 2 tales and enjoyed the 1st even more after I read the 2nd. I like how the characters returned in the 2nd tale. Just started the 3rd. This is my 1st foray into reading Atwood so I have lots of books to read.
Image for Stone Mattress
by Margaret Atwood (Goodreads Author)