K. Velk
K. Velk asked:

I recently watched (and enjoyed - loved, really) the Netflix series, "Bojack Horseman." Anybody else out there in Goodreads land tracing a line between dear old innocent W in the W and our own era's anthropomorphic animals?

To answer questions about The Wind in the Willows, please sign up.
Johnny Anthropomorphized animals have been a staple of literature and story telling pretty much since there have been records of any stories at all. Victorian-era bestiaries and their derivative contents are such a part of our culture that it's hard to disentangle them from modern-day adaptations. And of course, they far predate even 'The Wind in the Willows'.

As such, I'd suspect that if you saw any parallels, it's most likely because it was fresh on your mind, and if you were watching any other series with speaking animals, you might have reached the same conclusion.
Vicky Hunt No, hadn't thought to compare until you mentioned it. What conclusions have you drawn from your own reading? I will add that I am probably under-versed in the newer children's lit and I am more familiar with "Mister Ed" than I am with Bojack Horseman. Also, I have to say that I enjoy the truly anthropomorphic nature of Grahame's birds, for example, even more than the animals who act human in a way that is less believable for their own nature, like in Charlotte's Web or Babe.
Image for The Wind in the Willows