Aravinda Bhat
Aravinda Bhat asked:

With respect to Obavva's character! It is portrayed differently in this book (1982) and Shri.Puttanna Kanagal shown differently in the famous Nagarahaavu (1972) Movie Song. Though Ta.Ra.Su is the writer for both; I think timeline, movie requirement or ideology caused that changes? But history can be re-written for that sake?

Mukund Still not yet came to that point in the story. I will try to address your query.....my wild guess would be like....maybe in the movie there main intention was to showcase the bravery and courage shown by Obavva as we have also learnt in our school books but 'Durgastamana' speaks about the story of the fall of Nayaka rule in Chitradurga and here the main protagonist is Madakarinayaka....so it might be the case...but also once I read that point in the book..I ll try to re-address your query.
Prashanth Murthy I have read both and I guess that qualifies me to answer this question. I don't think there is a story of Obavva mentioned in Nagarahaavu, the novel. May be my memory fails me as it has been more than 15 years since i read that novel.The movie has an epic song on Obavva- still remembered to this date. I am not sure if the novel mentions anything about Ramachari singing a song about Durga and Obavva to schoolkids from Bengaluru.

The movie came out in 1972. Assuming the novel mentions a song above Obavva, my hypothesis would be : TaRaSu did extensive research for Durgastamaana in 1981 before he wrote the novel and that might have changed his view. He was convinced that Obavva wasn't killed by a soldier from Hyder ALi's army, as mentioned in the song from movie Nagarahaavu. Also, per Durgastamana, the event of Obavva killing HyderAli's soldiers happened at night. And Obavva was heralded for the feat and she was taken out in a procession throughout Durga.
Image for ದುರ್ಗಾಸ್ತಮಾನ | Durgastamana