Liz
Liz asked:

The author stated that Cabot Lowell brought the instructions for the machines used in this business from England in his head; however, being brought up in Rhode Island near to the Slater Mill, I was always told that Samuel Slater started this industry in America with instructions also brought in his head from England ... and the correct person is?

To answer questions about The Daring Ladies of Lowell, please sign up.
Yvonne (Fiction Books) I did a bit of research about both men and I have to say that, looking at the dates both men started up their respective mill enterprises, Samuel Slater was ahead of Francis Cabot by a good few years!
Sara Marks Are you asking which man did it first? They were contemporaries so they may have done this around the same time in two different locations. As for copying the British and memorizing designs, this is very likely for both men. The Brits were very protective of the designs and I suspect they couldn't buy designs or draw them on their own.
Image for The Daring Ladies of Lowell