Goodreads asked Maria Murnane:

What’s the best thing about being a writer?

Maria Murnane I love that my job is to do something that I don't consider "work," and it's great to have my own schedule. I live in New York but most of my family lives in California, so I go home quite often to see them as I take my "favorite auntie" title quite seriously. (I'm pretty sure some casual acquaintances in San Francisco don't even realize I moved to the East Coast haha.) I also never have to use an alarm clock to wake up, and I can work out whenever I want. When I had an office job I remember feeling guilty for running to Walgreen's in the middle of the day. Good God,. If I had to go back to that kind of restriction on my time, I would probably quit or get fired the first week. Not joking.

I think my FAVORITE part of being an author is reading all the wonderful emails I get from fans. It makes me so happy each time a reader enjoys one of my books enough to take the time to get in touch with me. Much like the heroine of one of my novels (Cassidy Lane), sometimes when I have a bad day I read fan emails to cheer myself up, and it always does the trick. Reading emails from actual readers reminds me how lucky I am to be in this position. If you've ever emailed me, thank you!!