Maria Fremlin
Maria Fremlin asked:

The book dragged and dragged. She made her point at the end regarding how some people see art, though. What would you grab if your house was on fire? I would go for my camera, after that ID card, maybe. Note that no passport was required to buy a ticket from Amsterdam to Paris. How could Donna Tartt have got this wrong?

To answer questions about The Goldfinch, please sign up.
Germany Van meters Actually after living in Germany for 4 years I can say to do any traveling one needs a passport. You can get kicked off a train by not having your passport on you and flying you always have to show it within the EU. You always go through passport control in the airport of every EU country you fly through even changing planes. On a train I saw a guy kicked off for not having his passport after entering Austria.
Anne Martin Amsterdam and Paris are in the E.U. so, you just need to prove your id, but no passport is needed to fly from one to the other.
Image for The Goldfinch