Tarren
Tarren asked:

I have read the first book. And am now reluctant to read the second two, due to reviews. Would it be better to read the next two books if i knew the bad ending everyone talks about? I have read a couple of series where I found out the main outcome before reading on, but the main outcome was good so it didn't ruin the book for me.

To answer questions about Allegiant, please sign up.
Colleen
Kindra Read the books anyway. My friends ruined the ending for me and i wished it wasn't true but sady it was but the books were still good minus the ending
Keilah Granito I read the first book and I was checking about the movies. That's when I saw the spoiler. I just said it in two words. Knowing that I'm not really a crier, I finished the series. I partly regret it. It was fun, but now I can't read the prequels. I'll cry.
Tarren Wow thank you so much for your Answers:) I will keep going:)
Jillian I didn't want to read this series either, because of the reviews. And I DID know the ending of Allegiant before I started. Ultimately I ended up reading them anyway (obviously) and I am so glad I did! Don't let others dissuade you. BE BRAVE.

I have to admit, I resisted reading the series for the LONGest time. I was being downright stubborn about it! And I love to read! But I own my own business and my free time is precious. So when I do get the rare opportunity to indulge in a novel, I don't want to waste my time on bad literature. So I tend to read reviews before I ever "open the cover," so to speak. I read many, MANY, reviews of these books- probably too many than recommended (or normal), ignoring the Spoiler Warnings. I gave reading it an awful lot of thought... which should have been my first clue, as I dove deeper into the world, without having read a single page. Yet. I should have known then, I was already hooked.

But all those reviews? The conclusion? Everybody LOVED Divergent. Everybody LOVED Insurgent, which was left on such a cliffhanger, that they HAD to read Allegiant.... and that's where the ending was lost on many of the fans. The so-called "loyal" fans, saying that Allegiant ruined the entire series for them. Urging newcomers to read Divergent as a stand-alone and then give up, or in most cases, urging newcomers to not read the books at all. I read such heated, angry, and devastated reader reviews, that I resolved to NEVER read this series. After Mockingjay, I just didn't want to be disappointed in another trilogy, again. :-/

But then my cousin read the series. And then my sister (who NEVER reads anything), read the series. Then my friend (and her mother)… and they all loved the series, and all thought for sure that I would love it, too. So I did something which probably would make every author cringe. I read the entire series summary on Wikipedia. So I knew the basis of the storyline, and I knew the sad ending that everybody hated. But still I resisted.... And THEN....

.... and then. I was going on vacation... and I needed something to read during my travels. As I scrolled through eBooks for sale on my Kindle, there it was again, ever-tempting me. So... I bought the Trilogy. There. Done. No turning back now.

I read couple chapters of Divergent the first day of my vacation, and then, wouldn't you know? I did not have another opportunity to read any further until my flight back home a week later. I read it on the plane, I read it during my layover in Atlanta, and on the final leg into Daytona. I couldn't wait to get home, where I binge-read the rest of the book into the wee hours of the morning. Divergent, done.

I liked it! I loved it, even. But I was expecting to like it. Reviews were unanimous there, so it was no surprise. I began to read Insurgent the next day. It took me a couple days to get through it, in between my work, but still read until past 4am one day to finish it. And there, just where people said it would be, was that dreaded cliffhanger….

I remember thinking it would take a great lot of courage on my part to begin Allegiant. As I mentioned, I had already read the entire plot summary. I had read all of those angry reviews, the ones with the spoiler warnings. I knew basically what would happen in every scene, including the ending. :( All I was missing was the details.

I knew two things. One, I already expected to hate it. And two, I already expected to be sad. I reasoned that, since I already knew those two things, that I couldn't be all let down and disappointed at the end, since I already knew it was coming. So I bit my lip and dug in. I began to read it. And I kept reading it. I read it two days straight until I could barely keep my eyes open. I sobbed my way through the end, and all through the epilogue, (with a mixture of tears and a smile), and then something unexpected happened….

Yes, I was sad. It was sad, yeah. But I did NOT hate it as I had expected to! It was not nearly as bad as I had anticipated, or that all those reviews made it out to be. I was not nearly as disappointed as I thought for sure I would be. It made perfect sense to me.

As I think on all those reviews that had me convinced that my time would be better spent reading something else, ANYthing else… I realize that all those readers most critical about the ending of Allegiant were… pardon me... no better way to say it… young. Young enough to still think life is easy, who still believe every ending must be a happy one. But I know better.. As a grown woman, I know better. Having experienced life a bit more. Having experienced true love… and true loss.

Yes, it was sad, the ending. But I was satisfied. I thought, "Of course! This had to happen!" I felt that, to have kept true to the characters... there was no other logical way for it to end. Any other way, would have been a cop out - a lame attempt to get readers to like her. And am I ever impressed that she didn't fall into that trap! Bravo, Veronica!

There was no other way for it to end. And I realized... I've known it all along. Not from reading the summaries and reviews, but from those details between the lines, the hints which had been whispering to me from the very beginning. It was brilliant! Tragic and brilliant. A tragic and brilliant ending… and so very real. I have never been so thankful to have been proven wrong.

I hope this helps other readers who are on the fence about whether to read the series. I say again, BE BRAVE!
Goldenfire421 You should continue with the series. Don't let people's reviews stop you. Read it and make your own judgement. Maybe you might end up liking it and even understand why the author did what she did. Anyway, have fun reading the story. It's totally worth it. I think, don't know about anyone else. Hope that helps. Cheers.
Image for Allegiant
by Veronica Roth (Goodreads Author)