H.William Ruback
H.William Ruback asked Linda Watkins:

How much of yourself do you put into your lead character, or do you filter parts of yourself throughout all of them? Do you feel that you need a personal frame of reference in order to infuse it into your characters?

Linda Watkins Hi Howard,

Karen Andersen, my lead character, is truly a figment of my imagination. I don't believe there is much of me in her at all. Our backgrounds are completely different and her values don't really reflect mine.

If I have put something of myself into any of the characters in Mateguas, the most likely candidate would be Maggie - a young woman searching for love but always choosing the wrong man! When I started the novel, I envisioned her as the ultimate heroine of the piece; however, she had other things in mind!

I don't think I need a personal frame of reference to create my characters - Karen, Bill, Dex, Maggie, Sophie and Terri all began vaguely in my mind and, as I wrote they evolved and acquired flesh, blood, and personalities of their own.

The "characters" that I did use a personal frame of reference for were the "island" itself and the inherited "house on the hill" As you know, I lived on an unconnected island in Casco Bay for seven years and this remote, but wonderful, place was the basis for all that happens in Mateguas. The description of the house Bill inherits was based on my 150 year old home that sat on a hill overlooking, not the shore, but the Island Golf Course!

I hope I have answered your questions. If not, query me again! Have a great day!