Amanda Golderer

To answer questions about So Far Away, please sign up.
Brittany Beck YES THANK YOU! Nothing was wrapped up in the slightest. Very disappointing.
Joe Lee Providing resolutions isn't the same as good writing. It's actually closer to bad writing, if you think that literature should mirror life. Writing should help you understand (wake up to) the world around you. That's why I thought this book was so good -- it makes the reader aware of the lives of people who are worth caring about.

The great British writer Penelope Fitzgerald once said, "I have remained true to my deepest convictions -- I mean to the courage of those who are born to be defeated, the weaknesses of the strong, and the tragedy of misunderstandings and missed opportunities which I have done my best to treat as comedy, for otherwise how can we manage to bear it?" You can see here that Fitzgerald is not trying to provide answers or resolution; she is hoping to highlight truths about the lives of people she sees around her.

I think Meg Mitchell Moore's book is faithful to Fitzgerald's idea. Months after I read it, I still kept thinking about the lives of Kathleen, Natalie, Carmen, and even Lucy (Kathleen's border collie). That's the most you can ask from any novel, that long after you've read it, its characters live on in your mind.
Image for So Far Away
by Meg Mitchell Moore (Goodreads Author)