Goodreads asked J.C. Cassels:

J.C. Cassels By most recent I assume you mean my last published. I got the idea for HERO'S END from listening to my cousins tell their stories around a campfire. Blade's near-fatal crash at the beginning of the book was directly taken from my cousin's motorcycle wreck many, many years ago.

One of four brothers, he had taken his brother's cycle without permission and promptly laid it down on the road, trashing the bike and not doing himself any good to boot. To heal, and to escape his brother's wrath, he traveled eight hundred miles to recuperate with another brother who lived in Sarasota at the time.

This became Blade's crash and recovery on Kah Lahtrec with Tahar. In a nod to my family's penchant for storytelling around a campfire, Blade likewise found himself having a transcendental experience with Tahar around a campfire.