Deb
Deb asked:

really tried, couldn't finish it. hated the authors voice. anybody?

To answer questions about The Aviator's Wife, please sign up.
Rosemarie Watkins Yes! If it weren't a book club selection, I wouldn't have read past the first page. I know the author is speaking as Anne Morrow Lindbergh, but she's made to sound like a very repetitive idiot.
Kenna Yep, couldn't read it. Interesting this has been a recurring comment. There doesn't seem to be a "quit reading it" or remove it tab, does there?
Jill Felt the same...wish they had a different narrator.
Amanda Hutcheson Pretty horrible but I'm suffering through it.
Nikki Wilson I agree. I have read many of Anne Morrow Lindbergh's diaries. This book widely misses the mark.
Patti Yes, I agree. I couldn't finish it either! Charles and Anne were not very likable. He had I think 5 other children from different women and she came across as lacking any backbone. Bleh!
M Yes, I agree. It was forms book clu and honestly I skimmed certain section. The author was very repetitive.
Joyce as I am reading it I keep thinking that young women should read this because it really shows how far women's rights etc. have come. I remember my Grandparents who were the Lindberg's age acting a lot like this, though they were not rich. My Grandmother always worried what others would think and asked permission of my Grandfather to do things. She didn't drive and she only voted when he was there to tell her who to vote for!
Amanda S At first I felt it hard to connect with the voice of the novel, but as it went along, it really grabbed me. Once she married him, it became clearer. I don't think that was a technique or a reflection of Anne's youth though.
Danielle It takes some imagination to think I"m listening to Anne Morrow, a young college student, soon to be Anne Morrow Lindbergh when the voice is much older. It's written in the first person, and the narrator should have been a much younger voice, maturing as the story progresses.
Lexie Crews Im listening now and her voice is awful. Dont think Ill finish it either.
Caroline Mcphail-Lambert Really is worth persevering past the reader.
Connie Rehman The author's voice was very difficult. But I think it greatly reflected the times, his power and prestige, and the awakening of Anne Morrow over the years.
Mukerrem I liked it ,is it because I am 77 or I seen so much of myself ...
Melissa Telenko I couldn't finish it either - just seemed like a lot of whining about how overbearing Charles was, etc. It may have been true, but I felt as if it was very one sided and I tired of it. It felt like a feminist rant and not very subtle either.
Elizabethlane I could not make myself finish it either!
Image for The Aviator's Wife
by Melanie Benjamin (Goodreads Author)