Kelley Ceccato

One of the impressions I'd gotten of this series was that it centered on a battle of the sexes, with girls as the villains. Is this at all accurate?

To answer questions about The Death Cure, please sign up.
Bethany Winder Not at all. It just happens that the series is from Thomas's point of view, so yes, the girls' group is more on the sidelines, but they participate in the trials and go through what they do for the exact same reasons as the guys. If nothing else, Dashner treats the girls humanely by focusing more on the evils happening with the guys than with the girls.
Maryann Fläsch Not really... More like the author implied, in my opinion, that the girls wouldn't be the cure so they were more plot driving props to spur the boys on during the tests. They were manipulated same as the boys, but seemed to not be the primary focus of the tests... Like how they got to go through safe tunnels while the boys had to hike through the city full of "zombies", for lack of a better term. They got to skip the zombies to get ahead of the boys to play out their roll as an antagonist.
Michael I would of liked it if we got to know group B. Minho would have been beaten up by a girl and never lived it down.
Timothy Gray That's ridiculous!! I think the book is based around whether wicked is good or evil or just a plain waste of time... the boy and girl conflict is only because wicked decided to create it.
Emily J. The series has absolutely nothing to do with a battle of the sexes. It focuses are on the validity of the statement "the ends justify the means", the morality of using minors (anyone actually) against their will, and the manipulation said minors or other human beings.
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho with some spoilers ahead....

Of course, people would find that this book is sexist or something like that - I don't why someone treated this writer as a racist since there was almost no blacks... Well it had an asian and a mexican....

This book has a dumb weak male main character. (more information ahead) I would say that Teresa and Brenda are two different kind of girls and brave (Specially Teresa) but this book isn't sexist. Why? Because the author focus on group A which had boys? By that conclusion he should have written four books. The first with group A and the second with group B - but if you've read the second book - Aris or whatever was his name said that the girls left and solved the maze quicker than the boys ;)

More, Teresa sacrifice herself to help Thomas. And Teresa doesn't betrays Thomas. She had the guts to treat him bad, beat him so he could escape and live. If she had been weaker he would have been killed. She loved him, no matter what the author wrote in the third book, she loved him. Because what she had to do in book 2 was not that easy. She had to alienate him for his sake. And Thomas was a dumbass. He was just there...
Andrew Marquez I didn't get that impression at all. The group of girls from group B help Thomas get the people out of the maze. Brenda and Teresa was portray as strong women characters.
Anne Martin I had the same feeling. The boys are more courageous, they take more risks, they ask more questions, etc...
But for once, the books are written for teenage boys.
Wes Reib You have a point. Teresa 'betrays' Thomas and certainly Thomas is confused over this issue. The girls ambush the boys in order to force Thomas to go with Teresa and Aris. That the groups are segregated before they are placed in their respective mazes suggests Dashner had a conflict of that sort in mind.

Gabriel Darke Smashwords author
Image for The Death Cure
by James Dashner (Goodreads Author)