Goodreads asked Courtney Maum:

Courtney Maum I guess I started getting worried when I realized that my own friends were losing their instincts. There I was, surrounded by the best and brightest—they were quite something, my social compatriots: architects and artists, gallery owners, parents and non-parents, alike. But regardless of their careers and marital status, I noticed that the whole lot of them needed to consult their phones to know when it was time to eat, to know what to eat, to know when it was time to go to bed. To know if the person they felt attracted to was someone they should date.

I used to work as a trend forecaster, so I know firsthand the power of instinct. Gut decisions, split decisions—pretty amazing things come from trusting your intuition. What I was interested in, as I watched my tech-addicted friends become more and more tech-addicted, was what would happen if we allowed crowdsourcing to replace our human instincts.

Sloane Jacobsen, one of the world’s most powerful trend forecasters, and the main character in my new book, TOUCH, was born out of this question. What would happen if I put a trend forecaster in the middle of a massive tech company, only to have her realize she wasn’t so keen on technology anymore? And that maybe the rest of humanity wasn’t either? It’s just that…they didn’t know it yet?

TOUCH is the story of a modern dilemma we all grapple with: do I want to engage with my real life? Or the one inside my phone?