Melissa Wild
Melissa Wild asked:

Would you let your 13 year old daughter read this or any in this series?

To answer questions about The Constant Princess, please sign up.
Sarah Absolutely yes!
Heiða Liljudóttir On the principle that I don't believe in banning books, yes totally. If her english/reading skills were mature enough for the text, I'd trust her to with the content as well. I read a rather shocking book on Anne Boleyn at 11(there was nothing else unread in the house at the time), all it did was spark my interest in the Tudor period and women's history :)
Andrea I would not. Why not allow your daughter a few more years of innocence? I am really enjoying these books, but they are not appropriate for 13 year olds.
Fides No. I do not think it would be appropriate for my daughters.
Barbara I guess it depends on the girl's maturity - I read books at that age that I probably shouldn't have read but I didn't get scarred by them. However, while this book is ok even at 13, I think I'd hold others in the series such as "The Other Boleyn Girl" or "The Virgin Queen" for example, until she was a bit older as there are a few graphic scenes.
Catherine James yes depending on her personality. if you think she is mature enough to handle the themes, then sure, but if you think she might not be able to, then no.
Di Hu Probably depending on the mental age and what kind of reader she is. I might wait until she is 16. I wish I had learned all that this book has to teach about being a woman earlier in my life, but not as early as 13 when I was still free to have a naively beautiful understanding of the world. Some of the virtues the book leads us to learn are great, while others takes a more sophisticated lens to really understand.
Image for The Constant Princess
by Philippa Gregory (Goodreads Author)