Goodreads asked Charles McNamara:

Charles McNamara Interviews were always my favorite journalism assignment so I started a website of interviews, with portraits, called Tributary (tribmag.com).

My interview ideas come when I read about something, such as the Kit Carson County Carousel, and then call and ask about who did the restoration. One call leads to another.

I read “We Were Soldiers Once, And Young” and did a Google search for people mentioned in the book who might live in Denver and found Gordon Rozanski. His story broke my heart. One year in surgery to reattach his arm.

No matter what I am working on I love doing research and the Internet has made the process quite interesting and much easier than the old days of going to the library. Constant research has yielded a long list of people I could interview.

I took Robert Schulzs' class on retirement and found him very engaging so I asked if I could interview him.

I attended a concert given by an Irish group of minstrels named Colcannon. I introduced myself to Mick Bolger after the concert and got an interview.

I was in a small used bookstore in Littleton, Colorado, and met the owner who gave me a little background on his life as a missionary in Guatemala. After reading his book I called back to do the interview.