Catherine Linka
Catherine Linka asked Nicole Maggi:

What inspired you to write Winter Falls?

Nicole Maggi Hi Catherine! One day I fell down the rabbit hole that is Wikipedia and landed on the page for European witch hunts. There was a footnote on the page for something called the Benandanti. I clicked on it and immediately became obsessed. I was fascinated with the mythology of the Benandanti, especially how one had to be born into it.
At the time, I was writing historical fiction, and the first iteration of WINTER FALLS was set in the 16th century. But several months into writing it, I got stuck. After flailing about for a solution for a while, I had the eureka moment that it was not meant to be historical. Once I updated it to the here and now, the first draft flew onto the page. I adapted the mythology of the Benandanti pretty freely to suit my story, but a lot of the basic elements - being born into it, transforming into animals, defending their villages - remained the same.
I was also inspired by the stories a friend of mine told me about a crazy family she knew when she was young. So the Wolfe family is loosely (very very very loosely) based on them. And actually, if you can believe it, the true stories about that family are a lot stranger than my fictional version!