Goodreads asked Nicole Maddalo Dixon:

Nicole Maddalo Dixon Most people will tell you to never give up-to keep going despite the discouragement and rejection. That’s sweet, and it’s also true, but that’s par for the course for any endeavor a person wants to accomplish.
What I like to tell aspiring authors is be prepared to do the work. Discouragement and rejection are a cakewalk compared to the actual labor and toiling of writing a book, no matter how much you love to write. Writing a book is one of the toughest efforts/feats one is ever going to achieve if fortunate. This is precisely why out of 100% of people who want to write books, only an elite 20% actually pull it off.
So I’m not sorry to say that I don’t have sunshine and rainbows to give for advice here. The advice I do have is real, scary, and it’s very true. If you’re not willing to throw yourself wholly into writing, body and soul, never giving up isn’t going to save you. Be prepared to revolve around writing nearly 100% off the time, and be prepared to want to do it.