Tabby
Tabby asked:

Can anyone who's read this book tell me if they enjoyed it and if it's highly recommended?

To answer questions about The Keepers of the House, please sign up.
Sharon I would not recommend it. It has little plot until the last 1/3 and read much like a diary of everyday life during that time period. I just don't get the glowing reviews. I read a lot and felt it to be lacking and disappointing. In fact, I would not have finished it had I not been reading it along with a friend to discuss. We both felt the same way.
Pat McDaniel I loved it, but I can see how some people in the South might be offended by the way it depicts the attitude of the people who lived in that era. Unfortunately, from what I have seen and read in other material, there's a lot of truth in that depiction, and it still exists to some extent.
Ann Reed I enjoyed this book immensely. It tells the story of a multi generation family in the south , where bitter feelings still ran high about the segregational problems between Blacks and Whites. it showed the difficulties for both sides fo this family. I simply could not put this book down. One of the most interesting books I have read in a long time. It touched my heart.
Arielle I just finished it and I agree with Sharon. Not much plot until close to the end with a twist I found not too believable considering the attitudes Howland was raised with. I wouldn't have finished it either except I kept thinking surely something will happen to earn those nice reviews. Yes, there was a ton of prejudice in the South, and it has gotten better - but the South can still be a very racist place.
Liz A terrific read. I had no trouble following the family generations.
Beverly I had a lot of trouble following the generations....who was related to whom, and how they were related, which made it a bit slow for me even up to the halfway point of the book. It also blows my mind the kinds of things that "mattered" back then. Wow! Amazing and sad part of our country's history.
Kerri I'm about a 1/3 of the way into it and am having a hard time getting into it. I've read a lot of enthusiastic feedback. Perhaps someone could direct me to a group on goodreads or a good reader's guide that would help me get more of a connection to it.
Gina Marcelin I read this book and would highly recommend it. I recommended it to my sister and she felt the same.
Image for The Keepers of the House