Goodreads asked Paul Castellani:

Paul Castellani A tourist-townie baseball game that ended badly. I played (on the townie side) in a game not unlike the one in the novel, Sputnik Summer. It was a one-of, not an annual event as in the novel, but it ended in an obscenity-laced fist fight between a kid I was palling around with and a tourist. There I was standing on the margin (the son of the owner of a cottage colony) watching my summer pal (whose single mother was a waitress) cursing the tourists, who were “demographically” closer to me than I was to my pal. I remember being confused, disconcerted. My pal was clearly out of line, but he was my pal. The memory has ambushed me on and off for fifty years.
I started “in the middle” with that pivotal episode and wrote up to it and then its aftermath.