Michelle L. Davis

What age group is this book for?

To answer questions about The Boy Who Lost His Face, please sign up.
Aristidas Tankus Thank you for asking this very important question, Michelle. Since some children consider Louis Sachar to be their favourite author, they would definitely read the entire Wayside School series. If your child is one of them, I would not recommend, however, that he or she read The Boy Who Lost His Face. I remember seeing this book in middle school; at the time when I began to skim through it, I did not know the meaning behind young adult vocabulary and maturity. As I grew older, I became astounded when I learned that this book not merely consists of R-rated material, but that it has been in the list of Banned Books since the mid-1990s. On the other hand, it has not yet been removed from bookstores. To conclude, I will point out that this book may not be suitable for anyone, but should your child read this book, just know that he or she are required to watch out. I hope I was able to answer your question thoroughly and clearly, and as serious as possible.
Andrea I would recommend this to 11-14 year olds. Personally, the vocab words are not hard, it is just the language. Really, I would actually recommend it to 12+ but society today...says no...somewhat. (If you know what I mean. If you don't, that's fine.) If you allow your kid to know..and possibly say the sh-- word, then whatever age is fine. And also possibly know the finger.
Image for The Boy Who Lost His Face