Patrick Brown
Patrick Brown asked:

Where do you think "The Land" is in present-day America?

To answer questions about California, please sign up.
Martha I thought it was somewhere in the Sequoia National Forest, or in the surrounding mountains. Los Padres is closer to LA, though, so maybe that was the setting.
Martine Taylor Northern CA - I was thinking Gold Country up near Yosemite, because of the trees, redwood, water sources, and the "ghost town". Even the cover art looks like Northern CA.
Margo I was wondering this as well! LA is a *desert* so this lush landscape seems so foreign in today's setting. I suppose the climate changes that occur in the book could make The Land almost anywhere.
Heidi It mentions travelling through the Central Valley, which is the San Joaquin Valley in Central California (think Fresno). And they came from Los Angeles. So I've concluded they started in Southern California and traveled North. But who really knows! The afterlife could be happening anywhere and I love that about this story. They don't really know where they are and we're right there with them.
jamie I think of Big Bear, I think it is definitely still in Southern California
Kim I'm thinking Northern California. Just halfway through the book but that's my thinking process at this point.
Dori There are lots of ghost towns along Hwy 395, so I thought this could be something like Bodie, which is a tourist attraction east of Yosemite. I definitely got the feeling they were somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range, though. Seems they had been driving for quite some time and pine trees don't appear very close to LA.
Michelle The author mentions a redwood at one point in the book - not far from Frida and Cal's original home - so I wondered if they might be somewhere in Northern California.
Image for California
by Edan Lepucki (Goodreads Author)