Cynthia Coronado

I've had War & Peace on my bookshelf for years. After reading "Catherine the Great" and "Nicolas and ALexandra" this past year, I figured it was a perfect time to read it since I was in a Russian mood! I've forced myself to finish Part 1 and some of Part 2. Forced! My main subjects of reading are historical novels. I am used to reading BIG historical novels but this one !?! How can it be one of the greatest?

To answer questions about War and Peace, please sign up.
Driscoll Cane The mistake is approaching War and Peace as a historical novel, say the way you might approach Gone With the Wind. You can't place the same expectations on W and P.
Tolstoy on W and P: " It is not a novel... and still less an historical chronicle." It is a deviation from European forms. Be prepared for that.
Yelyzaveta Probably because it is not focused on history that much, but on the characters' spiritual struggles and reflections on russian soul and character. It does contain a lot of historical details and analysis of the war, but I wouldn't call this novel historical. Myself I am not a fan of historical novels but a huge fan of "War and Peace".
Image for War and Peace