Karla Henderson

What is the profanity like in this book? Thanks

To answer questions about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, please sign up.
Pamela Slight profanity, however there is a goodly amount of bigotry. It is strange to read the accepted attitudes from the turn of the century in a book written in the 1940s.
Elisamatt Minimal profanity by today's standards. Possibly a small scene of violence when Francie is attacked in her tenement--nothing excessive.
Elizabeth Campbell there is not much profanity in the book, but some ugly scenes and concepts to explain to young adolescents depending on how innocent they are. i read it with an eye to my 11 year old, and decided he can wait a bit to read it.
Ana The word bastard was used a couple times but I think that's really it, and they were mostly using it in the context of an illegitimate child.
Emma Schaefer There wasn't a lot of cursing because the main character and her family hated profanities. At least, that's what I remember from reading it nearly two years ago.
Larissa Honestly, the book uses a lot of slang and expressions that I assume were popular during the time period (1901-1920-ish). There aren't any major cuss words.
Image for A Tree Grows in Brooklyn