This books sounds amazing. Sci-fi and maps together - potential to be brilliant. But I notice it is classed as a young adult novel...is there enough for adults to enjoy too? It's not too dumbed-down is it?

To answer questions about The Glass Sentence, please sign up.
Cran Berry What makes a book truly YA is the age of the characters. A YA book can be just enjoyable - or even more so - than an adult book. Very few are "dumbed down" for younger readers and if one is dumbed down, it probably wasn't a very good book in the first place.
branewurms If you think YA means "dumbed-down" you may in fact not be smart enough to enjoy YA.

Ugh, I'm sorry, that was unnecessarily hostile. Some people still just don't know any better. Just - know that this is a really antiquated attitude, okay? YA deals with the same sorts of issues that "adult" books do, and just as with "adult" books, some are fantastic and brilliant and some are not so great.

Also, know that worrying about whether something is too ~childish~ to enjoy makes people look like little kids worrying about whether others are perceiving them as babyish.
Victoria Hess Definitely enjoyable for this adult. Nothing is dumbed down. But the primary character is 14. And she has to make pretty grown up decisions, while also operating under the motivation of an adolescent -- saving her parent figure. I can't wait for the sequels. This would be a great book to read to an 8-9 year old ... just before he or she has the vocabulary to read it herself.
Lila I think this is on the younger end of young adult, or older middle grade. It would be a fun read together sort of book. Generally, young adult books are great for adults too. This one- I enjoyed reading it but I could tell I wasn't the target audience. Go into it knowing that and it's still an enjoyable read. It's not dumbed down per say, but you can tell it's meant for those around the same age as the protagonist; I'd say 11-16.
Ita I definitely think so. I'm an adult and really enjoyed it. Didn't think it was dumbed down at all. What makes this YA, I think, is that the level of violence is toned down.
Image for The Glass Sentence
by S.E. Grove (Goodreads Author)