Hayley
Hayley asked:

Why do I hate this book with such a passion?

To answer questions about The Picture of Dorian Gray, please sign up.
Cesar Ramirez Because it represents to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit. Or if you think the book is immoral, it is because it shows you your own shame.
Magill Feel free to pick one or more: the characters are unlikable; the writing style leaning to Victorian excess; strangely preachy and kind of boring; because people make a big deal about it (kind of Catcher in the Rye, when Holden Caufield is actually a prat); because modern horror, compared to Victorian horror is more graphic (if you like horror); because it isn't your personal taste and you were required to read it (nothing makes you hate a book more than when you are forced to read it - for me - anything by John Steinbeck). Or perhaps yours was a more rhetorical question and your reason can't be put into words - that is okay too, just don't try to argue about the book on that basis, you will not win :-)
Todd Williams 2 words: Lord. Henry.
I'm not sure if I loved to hate him or hated to love him, but his need to constantly speak in such a manner made me want to kick his head in.

It's just plain difficult to read and very wordy.
Scott Huh Because most of the book is Oscar Wilde jerking off onto the page
Jesse Magnan The book didn't grab me right off the start. But my own intense dislike of it didn't occur until we spent I am not sure how long going over Dorian's material obsessions. I do not need o to know an in depth analyses of jewelry or tapestry.
Zoe's Human Because it seethes with misogyny?
Akemi G. It's in the preface of the book itself.
"The nineteenth-century dislike of Realism is the rage of Caliban seeing his own face in a glass.
The nineteenth-century dislike of Romanticism is the rage of Caliban not seeing his own face in a glass."

Still true in this century. We project ourselves onto the world around us.
The Usual Possibly because it's so unevenly written? Or because it's one of those books that's been so extensively pillaged that you've encountered all the good bits elsewhere? Or, yes, because Oscar Wilde seems to lose interest in the plot from time to time and wanders off to describe the furniture (and I don't hate the book at all)? It could even be that you've spotted that there's enough actual material in there for a short story and it's been padded to within an inch of its life.
Berni ''The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”
― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Robert Irish Maybe because Wilde wastes pages describing tapestries, and furniture, and I don't know bug collections, or whatever as if that somehow is supposed to show us something about the "soul" of a person. The book is tedious, pretentious, and overwritten (over-quoted too). I would share your passionate dislike, except the book invokes utter ennui -- and yes, there's a quote for that.
Kateřina Oh, shoo you mirror people, shoo! There can be a million reasons why Hayley hates this book. Bad writing? Lack of female representation? It ate Hayley's grandmother? Who knows?
Rahul Pandey Because of Chapter 11
Nobody Well Hayley, let me start by thanking you for your inquisitive contribution to this comment board. Your question actually brings up many deep points of discussion. While the connotative meaning of your question is to inquire why the book is "bad"? I believe that if that was your intent the question is actually indicative as to why you hate the book. You missed the point that Wilde actually states within his preface. "When critics disagree the artist is in accord with himself" and "all art is quite useless" ultimately Wilde states that art is neither good or bad, so your question as intended to be interpreted has no meaning since the book can neither be good or bad. The answer to your actual question is actually quite complicated and may demand some soul searching beyond the pages of spark note style websites. I must say that while the reasons for your passionate dislike of the book could be any one of many issues ranging from daddy issues and anxiety of social standards upon today's youths to something more simple like it is a long book and you do not care for reading much. I don't know where in this spectrum you lie or perhaps it's something else entirely. My only advise is to stay positive and keep at it, the book is well written and as life goes on perhaps there will be something that you can attach a like or dislike to. Good luck and I wish you the best.
Cat Knight If you were forced to read it at school, that usually does the trick.
mert i do hate it most of the time also, as it shows what i desire and what i can't reach
Jerry Travis Although I enjoyed reading this to a certain degree, I do tend to find that many of the 'classics' tend to register fairly high on the stop-blathering-and-tell-me-the-frigging-story meter. It may have something to with my ability to cook popcorn in a microwave...I'm not sure...
Tinatin Laliashvili because it shows you yourself like a mirror.. ;) ;) :) :)
Olivia Morales Because Wilde seems to think anything contrary is clever. It's a simple equation. Usage of trope + expression of opposite expectation = brilliance! Worked in the comedies (Importance of Being Earnest, etc.), not so much in a Victorian drama where the protagonist spends whole pages describing tapestries, rugs and flower books. Also, misogyny.
Thomas Ross Because it was a painfully boring read and was worse than having teeth pulled?
Dominic Feeney I guess boring people don't understand it, and it represents to them a side of life that they are only vaguely aware of. It then infuriates them either because they feel like they're missing out, or else they feel threatened. Obviously people with a limited vocabulary would also not understand the book or enjoy it. As for me this book is a treasure trove of awesome social insights and cutting wit, written so concisely and brilliantly that I wanted to savour every sentence!
Julie I didn't like it either! It's amoral, no good purpose or insight gained from it, the quotes just make me laugh. No shame, just laughable in that shake your head, this is lame sort of way.

I had to force myself to finish it to be able to say I'd read it, but yep, I didn't care for it.

The author sounds twisted to me. He even mentioned he identified with the characters- further attestation that he had issues and his writing shows it. I could tell that even though he was writing from a heterosexual point of view, he was gay.
Summer Haze Not sure. Sounds like only your problem. It's a tale as old as time. What wouldn't someone do for eternal youth & immorality? Loved this book!!!!
Dianne Mck. I am really liking this book so far. The only thing I knew about Dorian Gray before this book was who he was on the TV series Penny Dreadful. I am fascinated on how the painting came into existence and I enjoy the little details like describing the tapestry, etc. It transports me to the rooms and locations which is really for me, what reading is all about.
John Wallace Maybe, just maybe, because it is written with pretentiousness of a spoiled brat. That is, at least, how I see Oscar Wilde. The story is interesting, personally I like all taboo themes in books, but... one cannot help, but be irritated with selfishness and pretentiousness of some of the characters (Lord Henry at first and as the story develops, Dorian becomes the same).
Image for The Picture of Dorian Gray