Goodreads asked Rowan Hodge:

Rowan Hodge In my humble opinion, a few tools are useful.

One is to smash out a big block of dialogue. It lets two or more of your characters tell you what's going on in their own voices and can serve as a recap to catch readers up if they are people inclined to read a book over many days or weeks.

The second is to elaborate on one of the traits of your characters. We all have our quirks and characters in books are no different.

Another is to think about the book as if it was a part of a series, whether it is or not. This helps me think about the depth and breadth of the characters beyond the here and now.

If all else fails I write a crime. It may not even end up in the book, but it gets the juices flowing to write something creative.

RH