Jennifer Kett
Jennifer Kett asked:

would it be a good book club book?

To answer questions about Death at La Fenice, please sign up.
Bill I am currently reading this for a mystery book club. I just finished another mystery for another book club ("Frog Music") I like to gravitate towards literary fiction and it is a good question whether a mystery has content worthy of discussion or even reading beyond just a temporary excitement and escape. I feel that there is a range of depth and literary value across the mystery genre. I haven't read enough of "Death at La Fenice" to give an opinion on this mystery, but in general I would keep an open mind. The librarian who leads one of my book clubs and has a masters degree in English, said that "Strangers on a Train" which we had read, compared favorably to "Crime and Punishment". She felt that the theme of guilt was handled better by Patricia Highsmith (Strangers) than Dostoevsky (Crime and Punishment). So, you never know.
JennanneJ I agree with Tara. It's a fun, entertaining mystery, but most mysteries don't have enough for a really engaging discussion.
Tara Connor It would certainly be a good book to chat about over a nice brunello. Not sure there's a lot to talk about, though, other than the lovely setting. I'm not knocking this as a really entertaining, well written mystery. I liked it and will definitely try another of these sometime in the future. I guess I'd choose something a little more challenging in content for a discussion book, though.
Image for Death at La Fenice