Susan Mayhew
Susan Mayhew asked:

would this be called Historical Fiction?

To answer questions about Orphan Train, please sign up.
Mary Loucks-Cummings Yes, it's based on factual events in history, but the characters and some places are fictional.
Maryann The history I learned from the book was its saving grace exposing me to a good intention gone awry. This is so typical of government welfare and church-sponsored social service groups that fail although good-hearted at their inception. The history was so interesting that I am angry that I was subjected to such a pathetic example of my favorite genre, historical fiction. Once Vivian finally got off the train and went into indentured service as a seamstress in training I wish I had just put the book down and checked out Wikipedia's references. Because it is book club selection, I persevered.

Whoever edited this book is to blame, not just the author. Maybe the author would have improved it per the editor's requirement with a more plausible story line and less stereotypical characters and over-used cliques. The final plots and ending were just so strange. Fine turning it for JA would have been an even better idea.

Also, I wonder if some authors are writing a book that they hope will become a movie?
Qwe Tot May can happen in real life.However false.
derpderpderp
Image for Orphan Train
by Christina Baker Kline (Goodreads Author)