Susan Mayhew
Susan Mayhew asked:

would this be called Historical Fiction?

To answer questions about Orphan Train, please sign up.
Mary Cummings Yes, it's based on factual events in history, but the characters and some places are fictional.
Maryann The history I learned from the book was its saving grace exposing me to a good intention gone awry. This is so typical of government welfare and church-sponsored social service groups that fail although good-hearted at their inception. The history was so interesting that I am angry that I was subjected to such a pathetic example of my favorite genre, historical fiction. Once Vivian finally got off the train and went into indentured service as a seamstress in training I wish I had just put the book down and checked out Wikipedia's references. Because it is book club selection, I persevered.

Whoever edited this book is to blame, not just the author. Maybe the author would have improved it per the editor's requirement with a more plausible story line and less stereotypical characters and over-used cliques. The final plots and ending were just so strange. Fine turning it for JA would have been an even better idea.

Also, I wonder if some authors are writing a book that they hope will become a movie?
Qwe Tot May can happen in real life.However false.
derpderpderp
Image for Orphan Train
by Christina Baker Kline (Goodreads Author)