who else was annoyed by the writing? (tho, creachers etc.)

To answer questions about The Knife of Never Letting Go, please sign up.
Danielle Hubbell I wasn't bothered at all. The misspellings aren't terribly invasive and I hardly notice them as the narrative plows on. The vernacular is very fitting both for characterization and style; it makes sense that Todd, an illiterate farm boy, uses phonetics in his speech and storytelling--this is what the words sound/look like in his Noise, so why wouldn't they look the same to the reader as he's narrating? I also find it to be somewhat endearing because it adds authenticity to his voice, making him feel like an actual person rather than a character on a page. We're seeing everything through Todd; he is our lens and this is merely his translation of the world.
Shirley I was annoyed at first but I found it helped me "hear" his voice/accent a little better. The different fonts for the different POVs were helpful for me too.
Maria I think it only added to the story. It helped give the characters a unique accent and voice. Also, Patrick Ness does it so well that it works, and after a few chapters you just get used to it. How is the writing any different from how teenagers text these days??
Liam It's been a couple months since I read it but I remember enjoying it. It was something different and worked in the world.
Sarah McConnaughey Patrick Ness wrote in the manner in which Todd speaks. It's brilliant, not annoying.
Nyasia It was like that because that is how he talks from where he is from. It shows he has a accent.
Scott Initially, yes, but once I got familiar enough with the odd spellings that they did not interrupt the flow of reading, I thought they added to the character.
Sarah If this is a problem, then it might help to listen to the audio book. It's more natural to listen to incorrect grammar, because it's fairly common in normal speech. That's how I read it and it's possibly the best delivered audio book I've listened to so far.
sue barr Its put me off reading it, I've tried 3 or 4 times but it drives me nuts. Reading for me is relaxation, but this is so stressful! I'm just about to try again bc it has such good reviews I feel I should try to persevere.
Flynt Coal I was actually bothered by the misspelling at first, but soon I found that it helped me understand his accent. When I was telling friends about this book, I was using the drawn out words to try and sound more like Todd. The misspelled word really adds to the depth of the story and words.
Risa Not at all. The style of writing is what caught me in the first place. Page turner!
Claire This is the reason I didn't make it past the first chapter.
Winnie F i loved it lol but thats just me
Romy To be honest, yes, I was, but I eventually got used to it
Andrew Liesland It didn't bother me, i thought that the dialogue was something that really brought the book to life, and made it different, I thought that it was brilliant, Though I did find that Ness overused the abbreviation 'effing'.
Aera I thought it was hard to get into it at first, but I had read books by Danny Boyle which must be in irish slang, and it was similar. Hard to read at first until you figured out the overall workings.

As I got used to it and the story progressed it made even more sense. It would not have made sense if the story had been in third person. With the MC in the story narrating the whole thing, it made the experience more immersive.
Bernat Paulí Batet With English as my third lenguage and still trying to learn it, it is very confusing, i don't know if it's me or the book that its wrong, so i couldn't finish it. the story sounded really attractive, so maybe in a future i'll give it a second try
Sofia I found it allowed me to sink further into the character however I can understand any annoyance.
Christine Antosca I was completely ignored. I almost wanted to give up reading the book immediately when I realized it was going to be like this.
Serena I must admit that when I picked up this book I wasn't aware of its particular style (I read it in french, and in that aspect I know the adaptation was matching the original version), and it kinda came at a shock: as someone sensible to mispelling and grammar mistakes, it was hard for me to enter the story at first.
But once I stopped focusing too much on the style, it became obvious that it was a necessity for this story to show us how different that world with Noise was, and to add a sense of realiy to the characters.
Maya Pulvermacher I didn't think that the writing style was annoying because it just fits really well into the book and it also shows how Todd is just not really educated a lot and the author (Patrick Ness) conveys this point really well in the book. So no, the style of writing is not annoying, it's just a different, more unique side of writing, and I enjoy it a TON!
rebecca driver Yeah it just made the flow of the book seem strange and it became a bit annoying.
Claire Walker Yeah me too. I'm only on chapter 3, thoroughly enjoying the book but every time I hit "direkshun" it throws me out of a totally engrossing paragraph and annoys me.

However I totally understand why it's written the way it is,so sticking with it because I'm really intrigued by the story and enjoying it so far.
Kylie George This didn't really bother me. I thought it was really unique and added to the story. It helped define the characters. I understand why it can be annoying, though.
Sandrine Plastre As a francophone, it was hard for me to understand at first. Like creachers took me two or three times with the context to understand, but it makes a lot of sense to write with the accent and misspelling so we can immerge ourselves into Todd's Noise, like Viola did.
Jennifer Maloney Yes! It annoyed me so much I couldn't even finish the book. I absolutely hate it when authors write like this. Makes it much, much harder to get into the flow of a story.
Angel Hughes Not annoyed exactly, but I've had a REALLY hard time completely placing the accent in my mind, as I read these books, even as I read the 2nd one. I initially assumed the accent was southern/country USA, but there are too many British terms scattered throughout. So in my head it's kind of a random mix, making this whole series a difficult read, even though the story and characters have been AMAZING! Any suggestions? I can't quite stick to the accent provided by the audiobook version, either. It doesn't seem to fit right with the writing.
Booklover11 I thought that the book was stupid at first but once you get used to it it's fine.
Steev Daws this annoyed me a lot great book but i didn't like the writing at all
Lisa At first it did annoy me, but as I read more of the book, I got used to it and began to understand why the book was written in the particular type of format. However, my sister was so antagonized by the way it was written, that she couldn't even bare to read it!
Alinda It was a little difficult to get used to and my sister disliked it so much that she couldn't finish reading the book.
Katie I absolutely hated it! Sometimes it actually took me a while to figure what the word was supposed to be.
Rachel YES. I loved the plot and understand why it was written in that format, but it did bother me.
Image for The Knife of Never Letting Go