Golda
Golda asked:

Does he explain why we fall asleep on the sofa watching TV, but then we go to bed we can't fall asleep?

C.J. Shane The problem you describe impacts middle-aged and older people particularly hard. Two factors here are circadian rhythm and sleep pressure. In older folk, the circadian rhythm shifts so that melatonin is released earlier in the evening, signaling that it's time to sleep. Second, we experience "sleep pressure" caused by the build-up of the chemical adenosine in our brains. If you drop off in the evening, that dissipates adenosine levels so that when you go to bed, there's little adenosine-sleep pressure left. The author has some suggestions on how to change this pattern. I'll write a review later but I'll have to say now that this is one of the most important health-related books I've ever read. Please read it.
Melissa Hicks
Any Length Against all warnings not to we watch TV in bed. If we find we fall asleep we just switch it off and turn over. I find when I watch TV in the lounge room and am tired then get up and go through the bedtime routine, last pit stop, another drink of water, clean teeth, let dogs out, then I, too, am wide awake again. What helps me when I can't go to sleep is reading text books. (not fiction!). Just plain text books like geology, brain sciences, anatomy, books about ancient history. They always put me to sleep.
Yzabel Ginsberg He definitely does! And now I finally get why my parents can never sleep at night even though they're so tired all the time they have long naps in the afternoon.
Geekvie
Image for Why We Sleep