Jen
Jen asked:

This books scares me because I think, what if another plague happens? I doubt it will. How did this emotionally affect you?

To answer questions about Fever 1793, please sign up.
Taylor It was definitely frightening at points. I was thinking.."what if I lived during this??". To see my friends or family die right in front of me..trying to help them survive but not even knowing where to begin.. It would be heartbreaking. The book shows how far we have come in medical technology, which I know I'm stating the obvious, but sometimes we need a reminder of all that has changed. It was nice learning about the Fever of 1793 because it is something that actually happened and I never learned about it prior in school.
Angela The book did not affect me in anyway but I guess it would to other people. I tend not think about the future much but, somehow the future always gets involved in my life. Thinking about the future makes me worry so I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who gets scared about what will happen in the future. If your going to read the book think about how lucky we are to live in this century.
Kylie It emotionally affected me by making me realize how lucky we are. We have so much more to use to help us survive this if we have another outbreak. :D
Ramsey Yah, It can definitely be scary at some points, but I don't think there will ever be another plague. Well maybe not as bad. This effected me emotionally by the science that anything can happen at any time and knowing death.
Nobody I read this when I was seven, and I've read it several times since then, and it was kind of scary. I had known about the yellow fever for a long time, though, so I wasn't too afraid of that specifically. But what about other devastating plagues? What if Ebola gets out of hand? What if a virus like the Bubonic Plague sweeps the earth, leaving few? It's a scary thought, but it's been sitting in my mind for 5+ years, so the fear has dulled.
Image for Fever 1793
by Laurie Halse Anderson (Goodreads Author)