Cam Hoff
Cam Hoff asked:

Which is better: At Swim-Two-Birds or The Third Policeman?

To answer questions about At Swim-Two-Birds, please sign up.
Jerry Balzano Not quite the answer to your question, but ....

I'm currently reading both books; my history with them so far: ASTB, one "false start"; TTP, three "false starts".

At present, I am enjoying ASTB to an extent I wouldn't have predicted from my initial false-start. It's funny how one's state-of-mind-at-the-moment ("mood") can so deeply affect one's pleasure in reading any given book – I never cease to marvel at this.

I would say that ASTB is the more "accessible" of the two books, although what I have read in each of them convinces me that they are both magnificent works of genius. So I would also say: read them both! And honor your "mood" in reaction to O'Brien's narrative(s) in each case. Because even as I write this, it occurs to me that there really are some respects in which TTP is the "simpler" book in that there is not all the shifting of points-of-view there that permeate ASTB ... so it's a bit strange, given that, that I would call ASTB the more "accessible" of the two books. (I suspect it has something to do with the fascinating remark in ASTB, "The modern novel should be largely a work of reference" (p. 33 paper, p. 20 Kindle) ... an idea that O'Brien actually puts more into practice in TTP than in ASTB, which can make TTP a tougher go.)

ASTB is the more comedic of the two, certainly; but I should add that I have always been more intrigued by TTP ... so we'll see ...!

Hope this helps.
Cam Hoff Third Policeman is the answer.
Laura Biddle Neither, they're both awful
Iain At Swim-Two-Birds, no question.
Image for At Swim-Two-Birds