Cam Hoff
Cam Hoff asked:

Which is better: At Swim-Two-Birds or The Third Policeman?

To answer questions about At Swim-Two-Birds, please sign up.
Iain At Swim-Two-Birds, no question.
Jerry Balzano Not quite the answer to your question, but ....

I'm currently reading both books; my history with them so far: ASTB, one "false start"; TTP, three "false starts".

At present, I am enjoying ASTB to an extent I wouldn't have predicted from my initial false-start. It's funny how one's state-of-mind-at-the-moment ("mood") can so deeply affect one's pleasure in reading any given book – I never cease to marvel at this.

I would say that ASTB is the more "accessible" of the two books, although what I have read in each of them convinces me that they are both magnificent works of genius. So I would also say: read them both! And honor your "mood" in reaction to O'Brien's narrative(s) in each case. Because even as I write this, it occurs to me that there really are some respects in which TTP is the "simpler" book in that there is not all the shifting of points-of-view there that permeate ASTB ... so it's a bit strange, given that, that I would call ASTB the more "accessible" of the two books. (I suspect it has something to do with the fascinating remark in ASTB, "The modern novel should be largely a work of reference" (p. 33 paper, p. 20 Kindle) ... an idea that O'Brien actually puts more into practice in TTP than in ASTB, which can make TTP a tougher go.)

ASTB is the more comedic of the two, certainly; but I should add that I have always been more intrigued by TTP ... so we'll see ...!

Hope this helps.
Image for At Swim-Two-Birds