Tricia Eastmond

To answer questions about The Girl Who Came Home, please sign up.
Elyse
Kathryn
Dana Crano It was a different generation and a different time. I didn't find it unbelievable, just a little too convenient for the purposes of the story. I would have appreciated a little more creativity or "surprise." I will say that "A Memory of Violets" is written by a more seasoned (mature in the sense of authorship) Gaynor and delivers on all fronts.
Patti I suspected that was the case all along, and I did like that no one really connected that. What was weird for me was that she would marry a man with the same last name as Seamus and no one connect THAT.. but all in all.. it IS a story and I liked the little surprise at the end. She really never wanted to talk about her life in younger years.. so I don't find it unbelievable. I have no idea how my grandparents met not to mention my great grandparents... so be it!
Maura I found it utterly unbelievable that a college-educated character with Irish heritage would never have copped on to the fact that Seamus is Irish for James. I found it utterly unbelievable that a person's great-grandmother would have been on the Titanic and you'd never have talked with her about it, ever. I found it unbelievable that they would have had such a close, comfortable great-grandmother/grandchild relationship yet never once discussed how she met her great-grandfather. As soon as I heard her great-grandfather's name was "James", I suspected that it was Seamus, and it became obvious to me all along that they were dangling that fate in front of the reader (like the time they went to the graveyard and the inscription on the headstone was read without actually reading the person's name). There were so many aspects of the book that I enjoyed, but the Seamus "surprise" was cheap and not a surprise at all. It was also pretty emotionally unsatisfying that the heartbreaking mixup of her telegram being interrupted was sort of just explained away as "oh well, they worked it out in letters" without actually showing the letters and how they healed the breach of faith between them.
Virginia Myers The fact that her children and grand children did not know the personal history of her husband did not seem unbelievable to me. I think that he had changed his name when he first arrived in America. And it was apparently an unwritten rule agreed to by her husband that no one would ever know how she got to America - so the children grew up knowing only that both their mother and father had immigrated from Ireland - probably sharing this heritage with many other of their childhood friends whose Irish parents also came to America as immigrants.

On the other hand - the trip back to Ireland seemed a bit of overkill to me. I would just as soon it had ended without that.
Pearl I agree. Found the ending a bit unbelievable. Have my own idea as to how it should have ended.
Image for The Girl Who Came Home
by Hazel Gaynor (Goodreads Author)