The Chill
The Chill asked:

Do I have to read his Drenai series in order, or can i read them in any order? Furthermore, if i only read Legend, is that a stand alone novel... or must i read on?

To answer questions about Legend, please sign up.
Pete Kim you need to read them in order. it is more rewarding that way and gives a truly interesting perspective. the author meant it to be that way. and yes, you can read only legend and be done with it as a stand alone novel. if i may, every single book is almost the same book. sounds terrible? well guess what, me and gazillions of other readers all thought that same song and dance was so good, we read all his novels :)
Will 3 years late, but it will help others wondering the same thing as you. The published order is best and the general consensus seems to be that Gemmell wrote them in the order they should be read . You'll find the writing quality all over the place if you read chronologically. I recently made this to help compare chronology vs published order: Drenai Saga reading order
Image for Legend