Jen
Jen asked:

I tried to read it and when it became a chore, I just couldn't take it. I hear a tv program is coming out, should I try again?

To answer questions about Outlander, please sign up.
Brizo I think once you get by the 1st couple of chapters the action really picks up. I'd suggest getting the audio version as the narrator is great and you can skip forward if you're getting bored pretty easily.. But honestly, after the 1st couple of chapters I couldn't put it down. What I liked about it was the love story of Claire and Jamie interspersed with Scottish history. I may be a bit prejudice here as my ancestors are Scottish and I've traveled around Scotland, so I found that interesting seeing Scotland as my ancestors may have lived it. I've read all 8 books now and it's still the Jamie/Claire parts I love the best. But Diana writes in a way that makes you feel like your inside Claire looking out her eyes, and living what she lives. That's another appeal I feel.

There is challenges that occur and Claire always seems to meet them. And Jamie, what can I say.. he's just so adorable, and always getting into trouble.. Claire is always coming to his rescue... and vice-versa they protect and love each other.. Their love is the most important thing to both of them, but family is also important too. Both of them would do anything to protect the one's they love. It's just a good read!
Laura I started reading the book because of the show. Did you ever end up checking it out? While I read, I visualize the actors speaking or their reactions. They did a good match up and so far true to the book. I don't know if it helps, but I'm listening to the audio book. The narrator does an amazing job with varying the voice of characters, accents, and keeping my interest.
Rosa The first two chapters were pretty slow for me too. I suggest continue reading because it does get better and you will not be able to put it down. I am loving the show as well and I am glad I finished the book before watching the series.
Chelle The first third of the book was not great for me. I was a little bored. The lady that I borrowed it from urged me to keep trying. I put it down for about a month, and then started again and I am so so so glad that I did. The book gets much better...and now I've moved on to the second book.

I am also watching the series on Starz and enjoy it so far. They did a great job in casting the characters.
Image for Outlander
by Diana Gabaldon (Goodreads Author)