Anna
Anna asked:

Is this appropriate for a 15 year old girl? Sounds very interesting, but I don't want any swearing etc. Thanks!

To answer questions about Yellow Crocus, please sign up.
Patricia At 15, I would encourage reading this book. It is the reality of our history. I am a devout Presbyterian of 50 years and I am 67 years old! I raised my girls in the church where they spent summers doing mission works....serving food to street people in Kansas City...and building Habitat Houses in North Carolina. There is no swear words....and the story reflects true Christian value above all else.
Delynda No swearing. But I thought it poorly written. It does include some "details" about one of the "masters" raping one of the YOUNG slave girls. Not sure if you'd think that appropriate. I wouldn't.
Susan Depends, there is a description of what is basically a rape. What follows is a good moral lesson. But so did To Kill a Mockingbird,the inference anyway.
Denise For a 15 year old advanced reader, I'd say it is fine. There is some ugliness that happens, but such is life at that time. I would let my daughter read it.
amanda Yes! Beautiful story about a smart young girl. Scene is very mild and written tastefully. Highly recommended
Kendell DeMeritt I read it at thirteen. There is no swearing and the sexual content is cut to a minimum. It also depends on how protective you are.
Roger I read this as a grandfather who was very picky about what my children read. The rape scene is not graphic, but would require parental discussion. It should be fine for a 15 year old - if a parent read it first.
Lisa Yes it is appropriate. It is a very clean book.
Heather W Very little swearing, but has some sexual content that you may not want your 15-year-old to read... a rape scene, intimacy with husbands... You could definitely read beforehand and decided what is right for your 15-year-old. It could make for a great discussion about sex with your child.
Angie Honestly, a 15 year old can and probably should read this. There's no swearing, but there is one part where the main character walks in on someone with a slave girl. It insinuates that he was raping her, but it doesn't outright say so and it doesn't describe anything in detail. There is also one scene that talks about another character being intimate with her husband, but again doesn't go into detail (no description of the sex, just a little about the intimacy leading up to it).
Alexa Gutu While not outright swearing, there are some slurs, including the 'n' word.
dave critzer Read nothing that was alarming to me. Wrote exceptionally well using dialect from the era. Recommend this book as a depiction of this time period.
Annette Watson For a 15 year old it's fine. No cussing in the book.
Desiree Miller There are a few times that the nurse has sex with her hubby, and there is another incident that might confuse your child,so I'd recommend reading first. So basically, there is sexual content but no foul language.
Image for Yellow Crocus
by Laila Ibrahim (Goodreads Author)