Celia Haupt
Celia Haupt asked:

My 16 year old daughter loved this book, staying up all night to read it. What should she read next?

To answer questions about The Girl with All the Gifts, please sign up.
Pamela (Here to Read Books and Chew Gum) I can highly recommend Richard Matheson's 'I Am Legend'. Don't let the film put you off. I pretend it never happened.
Mike Carey Sorry to be replying so late, Celia. I would strongly recommend Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde (no relation to the other book that references shades of grey in its title) - a magnificent post-apocalyptic novel from the author of the Thursday Next series.
kmkoeva How about Mira Grant's Feed? It's the first in a trilogy called Newsflesh - it's a bit more upbeat and the science behind it is so real you could just see it all happening in another 20 - 30 yrs. Touches on a lot of social issues, like ethics in medicine, the internet and more specifically blogging, bias in mass media... A very unusual speculative fiction zomby story.
Melissa Cimafranca As someone else recommended, John Ajvide Lindqvist. I've only read one of his books, "Let the Right One In" but I've read it at least twice! And the 2008 Swedish film is awesome - forget the American adaptation.
Karys McEwen I would recommend Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
xenu01 For a 16 year old, though, I would recommend the Forest of Hands and Teeth series for being also a nonconventional zombie story.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/4589...
Gemma Ooooh, I would suggest the Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant - more zombie than parasite based, but thoroughly enjoyable!
Amy Curtiss Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion I thought had some similar themes, the hope of zombie humanity being the most obvious, plus it's a fun book to compare to Romeo and Juliet, it even has a modified balcony scene. I haven't seen the movie, loved the book too much...
ke-sha Well this book reminds me of "Patient Zero" by Jonathan Maberry. Which I really enjoyed. Its a first book in a series.

He also has another Zombie series and the first book is called "Rot and Ruin".

I liked Patient Zero but I enjoyed Rot and Ruin as well. He also has another Zombie series(Dead Of Night) So if your daughter is into she can check that out to.

I hope this was helpful.
Hilda The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. It's amazing!! Part of a trilogy but not really. The stories take place in the same world but follow different characters. The first one is my favorite.
Kait Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Alexis She might enjoy John Avijide Lindqvist. He's a Swedish horror writer. Check the spelling of his name. I can never spell it right.
Keisha Frantom Pure by Julianna Baggott
The Chaos Walking Series Patrick Ness
Skinjacker Triology Neil Shusterman
Forest of Hands and Teeth Carrie Ryan
Tracey Schindler I would suggest Justin Cronin's The Passage trilogy...also Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant is quite good. Another incredible trilogy is Chaos Walking by Patrick Ness...first book is called The Knife of Never Letting Go -- its rated "YA" unlike Cronin or Grant but they are all excellent reads. One more might be Neil Shusterman's Unwind series -- absolutely creepy premise set in a near-future, excellent story.
Chris White Trash Zombie series is a fun read.
Warm Bodies I absolutely adored.
World War Z was fantastic. Very different from the movie, however!

Jennifer World War Z? But I'm only part way through this book.
Izzy Proudfoot Try 'Shatter Me' by Tahereh Mafi. It is a set of three books, which also has short novellas in between. It's dystopian and a great read.

Also if she wants to stick with Zombies, she should definitely read 'Hollowland' and 'Hollowman' by Amanda Hocking. I think one of them is free on Amazon actually- It was the first zombie book I read and what's even better is the protagonist is strong and funny- rather than whiny and weepy.
Melissa Cohen The Age of Miracles
Ingrid This book reminded me of Justin Cronin's The Passage.
Gianna She should try Sabriel by Garth Nix. It's a series of three books with strong female protagonists, undead creatures, and magic. Very good.
Michael Mora How about, Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill, Stephen Kings son?
Rusty Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory
We Are All Perfectly Fine, also by Daryl Gregory - a novella, so it's great for a one-night read :)
Parasite by Mira Grant
The Magicians by Lev Grossman
Fly By Night, Well Witched or A Face Like Glass, all by Frances Hardinge
Lee Has she read anything by Julie Kagawa ?
If not then The Blood of Edan series will
be right up her street,three books starting
with The Immortal Rules, The eternity Cure
and The forever Song. Such an exciting series.
A real cannot put it down set of books.
Joanne G. Has she read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins or Divergent by Veronica Roth? Both are series with strong young female protagonists. They are dystopian but don't contain zombies. For another zombie series, try Mira Grant's Newsflesh Trilogy. Rick Yancey has a promising begin to a series with The Fifth Wave. Good reading!
Martin Owton Try Mike Carey's 'The Devil You Know'
Tracy Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro
Siobhan Mcculloch I would recommend either The Stand or Cell by Stephen King
Wendy The Unwind series by Neal Shusterman is another "near-future"/ crazy social experiment/wildly different characters read.
Elaine Musgrave Raising Stony Mayhall. Just trust me. She will love it! Another zombie story that has taken a very unique turn!
Audrey I would recommend Alden Bell's 'The Reapers Are the Angels,' zombies, Southern Gothic-style!
Badseedgirl I would recommend Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory and The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell. Both of these novels are superb examples of Genre Fiction and Zombie Fiction specifically.
Sandra Has she read Warm Bodies?
Anne Boy's Life by Robert McCammon and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Wendle I loved this book in the same ways i loved I Am Legend by Richard Matheson, and Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. I recommend both.
Holly Brown I realize you asked this ages ago, but she might like Warm Bodies (and the rest of its series) by Isaac Marion
Paige i would recommend "the boy on the bridge"
i am pretty sure its by the same auther
Meg Kirkman Agree with all the current suggestions esp Let the right one in. Then ... for a bit of fun Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
Diana I highly and emphatically suggest The Seance and /or Spellbound by Tricia Drammeh. These are written for teenage and young adults, although I throughly enjoyed them. My granddaughters couldn't put them down.
Thomas If she hasn't read it yet (I know this is a long time later!), "This is Not a Test" by Courtney Summers was a great book. I've seen a lot of recommendations already for Mira Grant's "Newsflesh" series and those are phenomenal.
Morgan Ready Player One and The Martian. Possibly even Gone Girl. Very different topics, but those books have a similar level of suspense. I flew through all of those books as well as The Girl With All the Gifts. Another book I loved when I was that age was Ender's Game, still one of my favorites.
Maria Souza Def Richard Matheson`s "I am Legend" (It's different from the movie) and "This is Not A Test" by Courtney Sommers (More YA)
Omar Trinidad Méndez Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld is a steampunk novel. Also Boneshaker by Cherie Priest which is a combination of two topics: steampunk and zombies. And a third one: The Windup Girl, such a nice book for a teenager.
James Viscosi Perhaps "The Coldest Girl in Coldtown" by Holly Black?
Michelle Singer and song writer ANDREW PETERSON is not know to everyone, but should be. He is amazing and his books are fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
S I second "Let The Right One In." The Forest of Hands and Teeth and Hunger Games are both pretty disappointing. I would add "Pet Semetary." It's a classic "zombie" book. And of course, definitely World War Z.
Jenny Falcone Angel Eyes by Shannon Dittemore
Todd S The Passage. Vampire like creatures this time. Main character is a young girl as well. Hard to put down.
T
Adam If she love that then I am sure she would absolutely adore books by Kate Griffin (aka Catherine Webb and Clare North). She writes some splendid books for a varying age groups :)
Te-ge Bramhall The Boy on the Bridge. By the same author, actually the prequel to this book, in a rough way.
Joy F Warm Bodies if she wants to stick with the "zombie" genre
Rhiannon Atkins She should read the passage by justin cronin- it's a trilogy and she'll love them if she loves this!
Della Scott Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank. It's also apocalyptic, dystopian science fiction, but written during the Cold War era, and set in Florida. Because of when it was written, the language isn't as rough.
Also The Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler, which features a teenage girl protagonist. I imagine somebody else here has recommended that.
John K. How about 'The Earth Abides' by George R. Stewart?
It's dated - but what a great message.

Also 'On the Beach' by Nevile Shute. The book is so much better than the movie. Also dated - but low levels of violence etc.

Both of these are big on message. Enjoy!
Lemur World War Z! It's one of my favourites. As for the movie....what movie?
Krista I also recommend I am Legend. This book reminded me of that book very much. Do not watch the movie first. If you did, forget about it completely and read the book with an open mind.
Justine i recommend reading the contagion series by scott Sigler, in my opion Infected was the best book of the 3.
Image for The Girl with All the Gifts
by M.R. Carey (Goodreads Author)