A Goodreads user asked this question about Outlander (Outlander, #1):
After reading the reviews, I'm getting an indication that this book may be similar to 50 Shades of Gray. Is this true? I couldn't get past the 20th page of 50 Shades- not because of the sex scenes that were about to ensue (I'm OK with that) but because I felt that the writing was so poor, repetitive and amateur. Can anyone that read both weigh in ? No offense to those who like 50 Shades, btw :) Thanks!
Jessica Please refrain from making that comparison ever again. The outlander novels are among the best works of fiction I have ever had the pleasure of…morePlease refrain from making that comparison ever again. The outlander novels are among the best works of fiction I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Fifty shades is toilet paper. If you are used to reading romance or erotica, outlander will seem positively tame when it comes to the sex scenes.
The abuse people get stuck on is a spanking, and not a fun smexy one. If you are intelligent enough to understand that this novel is set primarily in the seventeen hundreds, you should be able to wrap your brain around the idea of another time and place with different rules, and appreciate the author for her unwavering depiction of said time period.
There is a rape scene in outlander. It is in no way glorified or shown to be a positive thing. I honestly don't understand how some people manage to find anything they can safely read, they being offended by everything.(less)
Image for Outlander
by Diana Gabaldon (Goodreads Author)