Maria
Maria asked:

I just saw an entertainment news clip for the new movie "The Giver", which I understand is made after the book of the same title. I've not heard of it yet but the news gal said she read it when she was younger. In describing the movie on the news I was disappointed to hear that it's the exact plot as Forbidden....is it?

To answer questions about Forbidden, please sign up.
Carol I read The Giver in school and re-read it again before watching the movie (which is about as close to the book as movies get). I am only on chapter 3 of Forbidden, but I'm reading it after reading Mortal first not realizing it was part of a series until I finished it. I have to agree with Desiree. The two books have very different plots and little else in common. It makes me wonder if the news anchor actually read either of them. I also recommend both The Giver and the Books of Mortals series.
Desiree No they are not exactly the same. That newscaster mus not have described the book/movie correctly. The Giver takes place in a utopian society where like Forbidden (and I must say, this is truly the only thing similar between the two from what I gather from Forbidden's synopsis) there is only peace. Besides that, the two stories seem vastly different. I have read the giver when I was younger too, and recently re-read it before seeing the movie. Forbidden seems to be (loosely) about a society of the undead/zombies, that don't actually look dead, and then finding an antidote that brings you back to life. Everyone in The Giver are very much alive! Also, if you still think that they have the exact same plot, The Giver was published over 20 years ago in 1993, so 21 years ago now. Way before Forbidden. So if anything, Forbidden copied The Giver, not the other way around. But this still does not seem like the case. The two stories seem very different although they do have something wrong in their utopian society and there's some sort of secret.
Image for Forbidden
by Ted Dekker (Goodreads Author)