Lyn
Lyn asked:

I enjoyed the first book in this series, except for a couple of chapters in the middle where the language went completely awful. Is the 2nd book also full of swearing?

To answer questions about The Silkworm, please sign up.
Donald A few swear words put you off but the graphic s&m mutilated corpse is OK? The main character is ex Army, swearing is akin to using adjectives to the military, and in fact studies have shown people who swear actually have better vocabularies and higher IQs. But by all means skip this one if you can't handle reading a few Fwords. Perhaps you can reread your Barbara Cartland shelf instead . . .
Beatrix All your ears are too soft!...I didn't notice too much swearing in either of the books, and if anything when there was some it was well-used and authentic. Considering the characters in both novels and the fact that they are Londoners, it really shouldn't come as a surprise that they have potty mouths.
Pat K A friend mentioned that the first book had a lot of swearing, and I said really I didn't notice and I hadn't. There is swearing in the second book but I think it is entirely consistent with the character of an ex-army, ex-police private detective. It is gritty rather than obscene.
Brandon I see the prudes are out in full force against JK Rowling. First, it was The Casual Vacancy, and now the Cormorant Strike books. Geez, people. You can read about cold-blooded murders in her fantasy novels, but oh no! The words! The words! As Ronald Weasley would say, "She really needs to sort out her priorities."
Jennifer You're reading a crime series whose existence is fundamentally predicated on brutal and violent murders, and you're shocked by a few authentic placements of 'bloody' and 'fuck'? You probably need to get your sense of moral outrage in order.
Judith From the comments below, it appears that you've not heard the Brits speak...they can be very blunt and graphic. As Ms. Rowling is British and the story takes place in London, I don't think that the swearing is gratuitous and overdone....but that is just my opinion. I didn't let the language be the focal point when I was reading....
Becky I agree, the first book (Cuckoo's Calling) had WAY too much gratuitous, completely unnecessary swearing for me which was a big negative in my opinion too. THEN, the first chapter of The Silkworm also started the same way! However, it got much better, and I was very relieved. The Silkworm really enjoyable to read.
Joanne Sheppard The language isn't gratuitous. It reflects the way you would expect those characters to speak in real life. Bear in mind this book is set in England with English characters; that language would be totally normal here for characters of those backgrounds.

Adrienne Yes, lots of swearing--also the bad language just seems gratuitous rather than authentic.
Madeline Hunt If you cannot tolerate realistic language, I suggest you go back to reading fairy tales. They are most likely on your level.
S I agree that the bad language is overdone. And frankly this book is turning out to be graphic, bizarre and perverse in an attempt to be interesting instead of just relying on a good mystery story. It will be the last one of JK's books I read.
Tony da Napoli She had 243 f-bombs in the first book. That is like one every other page. More than enough and a sign of questionable intellect. Too many for a quality writer, for sure.
Cathy It's a story. You are the passive reader. Noone is hearing you lash out with this vocabulary. Readers jump into novels to escape the norms of reality and enjoy the imaginary in all its variety. Take out the "language" and the story no longer belongs to the author. Enjoy the world she creates or close the book!
Linda Seivert I so agree about the awful language, and when several characters use the "f" word six to eight times in a single sentence.....that's gratuitous!
Jayne Bauling The language in both seemed completely authentic to me. If anything, there was way less so-called 'swearing' than in most contemporary novels.
Deanna Derosa What? It's not a children's book. I found the language appropriate for the characters. The book describes a gory crime scene. What are the characters supposed to say, "Oh my, what a pity?"
Daniel I think some of the replies are a bit harsh here. Personally, I’m not adverse to a good old bit of swearing when it is used effectively to evoke a gritty, real life style of dialogue. However, I also think it’s perfectly reasonable to ask fellow readers if there is further strong language, if that’s something the original poster doesn’t appreciate.

What I actually find far more puzzling are the almost obsessive references to smoking in pretty much every single scene. Again, I have no objection to the protagonist or his associates being regular smokers, but I swear across the first two books, pretty much every single character has been a heavy smoker, except Robin. It’s kind of jarring.
Alison If colourful language offends you then stay away from nurses lounges and don't read this book! The graphic descriptions of bondage and S&M will offend you so much you won't even notice the f-bombs!
Caryl V. No, I didn't find that at all. Really good book.
Carrie Yes, Cormoran is still swearing...it's part of his character. I've read other books where they could have left the colorful language out.
Racquel much, much more swearing than first book and really, I am surprised people have no sensitivity to swear words!
Elizabeth I thought it was too much too. F word all over the first two pages. Add in the repeated sexual perversity descriptions and I almost decided to skip it. I did skip to the end to confirm my suspicions. Ended up going back a couple days later to finish. The James Bond-y must sleep with at least one one-night stand is annoying too.
Peggy I've just begun reading it and some of the swearing seems necessary, but I could do without the repetitive use of the "F" bomb. I've heard, but I'm no expert, that the term "bloody" is more the British way of swearing.
Laura swearing
graphic description of sex, (including whips/being tied up)
transgendered person,
graphic description of dead person and how he was killed.
Jackie I disagree that the swearing was gratuitous - it was used as the characters would use it, Robin doesn’t use it, Strike - ex army would use it lots and rock stars, rappers....well that’s a given. Real life is portrayed really well in these books. I could relate to the characters. As always Rowling gets it spot on.
Hossein This book is amazing. Even better than the 1st one.Don't hesitate. start it today.
Elisa M. I usually don't like swearing, but this book was so over the top I found it hilarious (childish, I know...). Knowing who wrote it made me laugh even more.
lynsey I did not find the use of bad language to be excessive, perhaps you are reading the wrong kind of book if you object to what i thought was minimal swearing. The swearing was within the context of the book, the main character being ex army and now a private detective living in london.
On refelection, it could have been a lot worse
JoAnn The second book has swearing and some gross sexual depictions. It is still worth reading. I am enjoying the Strike/Robin relationship as it develops.
Krista The second book is much better language wise. You will like this book better.
Image for The Silkworm