Neil
Neil asked:

I won a copy of Exo here on Goodreads. However, I have not read the previous three and was wondering if it was possible to read, understand and enjoy this one as an independent novel?

To answer questions about Exo, please sign up.
Chris You should at least read Impluse because from my understanding this continues left over elements of that book. To truly understand everything though, you'd be better off reading the whole series.

btw Wish I'd won a copy.
David Go ahead and read EXO. I figured there were threads in the previous books and that I could read them if I liked this one (from the library) and I thought Gould brought the reader along very well.
Ben Bishop I'm not sure I can give an uninfluenced answer since I have read the prior three books, but while I was reading Exo, I didn't get the impression that the prior books were necessary to enjoy this one (and enjoy it I certainly did!). When something from a prior book surfaces, it is either inconsequential, or enough context is provided to explain it; it might even motivate you read the prior novels. I am just hoping at this point that he will continue the universe.
Neil Thanks for the responses everyone.
Michael Teegarden Neil, like the others, I believe you should start at least with Impulse. Exo (with main character Cent) is something of a sequel to Impulse (the first novel in the Jumper series to feature Cent-as-protagonist).

But, if you have the time, do begin with Jumper, then Reflex, then Impulse, and then Exo.
Karen I agree completely that reading Impulse first is a must. I just finished devouring my advance reading copy, and would not have enjoyed it as much without the background from Impulse.

(I actually read Impulse first, then checked the first two in the series out from the library afterwards.)
Image for Exo
Exo
by Steven Gould (Goodreads Author)