Scott Sorrell
Scott Sorrell asked:

I feel like the dal recipes call for too much water (7 cups water to 1 cup split peas). The product is, to my tastes too watery, but maybe it's turning out as intended? I lived in Nepal and the average dal there is thin, but Indian dals are porridge-like (and I'm not just talking about dal makhni with it's creamier texture). Can anyone help with this???

Don Very simple - add water to suit your taste! And according to whatever else is on your menu.
Sudip Ray Eastern Indian lentil preparation uses more water (because it is taken with rice where in North with tortilla/chapatis/rotis) and seems like Yamuna Devi spent a good amount of time in Kolkata/Calcutta. Split peas,chickpeas, black/green chickpeas and beans are usually soaked for few hours before preparing it. If I am not sure how much water I need I usually start with less and keep adding warm water until I like the consistency. Hope that helps.
Image for Lord Krishna's Cuisine