Goodreads asked Jeremy Robinson:

Jeremy Robinson (I know I am late on this one, so you will have to let me know which book you are asking about. With that said...)

I just finished writing "Feast." It's the sequel to "Hunger." My friend Christopher (who now hosts the Beware Of Monsters podcast) was really getting into local food. He and his wife even have a cow. He was telling me all this stuff about what was being done to industrial food and a lot of legal trickery some major companies had done to get very weird things into the food supply. He would also tell me about what different synthetics supposedly did to the body. He was going off on this a lot. Then I thought, what if it's all true and one of these companies created a food that was resistant to everything. What if it also changed the people who ate it. So now the people like Christopher who are "off the grid" for their food are the only one's safe from becoming a monster, but they have to survive in this world where anyone who was eating the food is becoming a monster. That just seemed like an awesome ride to me.