Kate Clayton
Kate Clayton asked:

I don't know much, but I'm PREEEEEEETY sure a publisher would take more than a few weeks to read a manuscript and sign a contract. From what I know of the publishing world, it's more like months. Am I the only one who thinks that?

To answer questions about Afterworlds, please sign up.
Aeslis It takes a publisher a while sometimes, but for an agent, it can happen very fast. Her agent signed a contract with her very quickly in the book. After that, the agent wrangles with editors at publishing houses, and hammering out the contract can take a while, especially if it's a big deal like Darcy's.
Cillian I'm pretty sure Westerfeld would know how long it takes for an author to get a novel published.
I agree that a couple of weeks sounds like too fast, but as others said, it's not impossible.
Connie Hirsch That is the real fantasy element in the book. FWIW, there have been YA novelists as young as Darcy who have gotten multi-book contracts, so it can happen, but almost as rarely as young women escaping terrorist attacks by slipping into an alternate world....
Nahili Carter If the buzz/excitement is great enough, the decision could happen overnight.
C.J. Sarcasm & Lemons From what I've read from published authors, it can take months or years. So Darcy's story is certainly unusual but not impossible.
Nathaniel Umm, as Scott Westerfeld is a NYT Bestselling author, I think he would know about agents and singing contracts.
Deborah I'm betting Mr. Westerfeld knows more about it than you. Plus you have to move the book along.
Michelle It can take months or years, but it also absolutely can happen that fast. I read about one girl who was two weeks between sending a query letter to an agent and having an offer for a book contract from a publisher. Some people have good luck and very marketable books!
Jakie As far as i know this book has been in the works for a while. Also he's an awesome writer.
Teri Arledge If the book was good enough it could happen that fast.
Kenzi Staley could be different for everyone you never know
Image for Afterworlds
by Scott Westerfeld (Goodreads Author)