Ianto
Ianto asked:

I got about halfway through and have been stymied by some of the victim-blaming language (mainly with regards to women inviting rape by behaving as if they are liberated). Is it worth pressing on?

Shawna Mathew I'd be curious to hear what you read that seemed victim blaming. I didn't read anything near victim blaming. In fact Herman almost errs on the other side if anything. She goes to great lengths to say that people cannot remain morally neutral and must take sides and place the blame on the perpetrator. My few criticisms of Herman would be that she does label post traumatic stress a disorder (which seems slightly shaming) and she does not go far enough telling victims to take pride in their battle scars for having survived awful things. She could also go a bit farther as some authors have done and say that, "It's not genetic." I think the entire spirit of the book is non victim blaming though.
Ianto I revisited the book and got a whole different feel for this section. While it still struck me as problematic, I think I have a different understanding of it than I did on the first read-through. It was definitely worth reading again!
Hp This book is so very illuminating; echoing (in other words) what I have been working on with my therapist for the past 5 years. I did not read or infer any victim-blaming in this book. Ms. Herman does say there IS much victim-blaming from all corners of society. How those who had to sublimate themselves in order to survive as children and so were not able to fight back then, have unlearned how to recognize dangerous situations and fight back now. She also discusses how many women who experience abuse/incest will unconsciously reenact it (repetition compulsion). What I've experienced, and what I read in Ms. Herman's book, is that knowledge of Complex PTSD (as opposed to PTSD) from childhood abuse of any kind and/or incest is so frightening to most people and fraught with the perils of upsetting the patriarchal power paradigm's status quo, that even therapists who specialize in this field contend with being ostracized by their peers. Best of Luck - it takes a lot of guts and perseverance to go through recovery from C-PTSD.
Abby Goldsmith I don't see any victim-blaming in this book. At all.
Susan Hardin Read the whole book and will read again. Did not see one hint at victim-blaming language. You might have misunderstood something. Could you point out the section? I will look at it again.
Shira I did not see any victim-blaming in the book.
Very worth reading.

ShiraDest,
29.10.12012 HE
(the Holocene Calendar)
❄Elsa Frost❄
Image for Trauma and Recovery