Janine
Janine asked:

Has anyone read Frog Music by Emma Donoghue yet.

To answer questions about Frog Music, please sign up.
Marcy I just finished it, and I loved it. I was stunned that the NYTimes gave it a terrible review. I liked both main characters, and loved the portrait of SF way back when. For me it was compulsively readable.
Mona Yes. I'm ambivalent about it. It's entirely original, and covers some little known aspects of history---the sordid side of San Francisco in the 1870s. However, with one exception, most of the characters, in particular the main character, are very dislikeable. Don't read it when you're feeling down. It's not escapist fare.
Dan Yes,was very good. This and Astray I liked as a I am a huge fan of historical fiction (hurry up Hilary Mantel!) but both books so different from Room, which I gotta admit was a helluva read. Now reading In the Kingdom of Ice and so far great, then it's onto Station 11 (I think? By Mandel?)
Sally Yes, not a book I would recommend for the faint-hearted or a narrowminded book club. It is however based on a true event in San Francisco's sordid past.
Tari Lawson Unlike Mona, I actually enjoyed the main character and found her quite likable. I did not care for the beginning or end of the story, but found enough of the book enjoyable that I would recommend it.
Mary Yes-I listened to it on CD, and enjoyed it. It seemed an interesting combination of a mystery and historical fiction.
Shadoh yes, loved it, despite the NYT not liking.
Image for Frog Music
by Emma Donoghue (Goodreads Author)