Monique
Monique asked:

What did you think? And, what age range do you think would enjoy this novel? Thank you.

Mary Lou Instead of offering a subjective age, here are things in the book that might be of concern: prejudice; masterbation (lots of references to "boners"); alcoholism; child/spousal abuse; bulimia; death. It's not written in an overly graphic way, but I'm all for letting kids enjoy their innocence for as long as possible. I'm sure kids as young as 6th grade read this, but as a parent you may prefer that they don't.
Renee Probably best for middle schoolers and up if used as a read-to-self book.. My kids are both upper elementary aged and we read it aloud to them. They loved it. In addition to the humor, it has a rare honesty that resonates with kids.
Dylan this age range depends on the maturity of the child, personally i started when i was 13 and i had about the same ammount of maturity as Junior in the book, so i was fine boiii
Hunter I was 12 when I read it and this book impacted me for the better. It gave me so much perspective and taught me so much. I did cry a lot, though... It really just depends on your child! For example, before I read this book I had already read things such as all of Oscar Wilde's books/poems/essays, George Orwell's 1986, most of H.G. Wells's books along with real tear-jerkers such as Island of the Blue Dolphins. I was ready for a book like this at the time!
Lacey I'd rather my elementary and middle school girls not read about a horny boy. I believe someone of high school and up could get more out of what the story behind all of the naughty thoughts is. And I would not have it as a class read for high school because of the sensitivity of the matter. There would be uncomfortable kids and mad parents.
Elissa 8th grade and up (although I've seen it included in classroom libraries for 7th and up). The main character is in 9th grade (most teens read up in age, not down, so the book might most appeal to students who are 8th-9th, although the book resonates deeply with older readers as well. It is popular with adults, beyond its teen audience.
Cathy I've just discovered the Young Adult section of the library and I'm going there more often now that I have. This book and Purple Hibiscis by Chimamanda Adichie were both in this section and they were both well worth reading. This Alexie book is the fictional (but perhaps a little biographical?) story of a student growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation in Eastern Washington State as he enters high school. it's about being an Indian, being a teenager, being a member of a community, and is fresh, funny at times, poignent at times, and just a wonderful page turner. I'd say about 8th grade as kids look toward high school.
Ciara I think anyone could read and enjoy this (Im 26 and I just devoured it, cried and laughed the whole way through).Suitability wise, maybe 13 upwards.
Starasia Loved it! I think it would be best for 8th grade and above!
Image for The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian